Family Visas

Family Visas

Carl Rothrock is an immigration attorney in Fort Myers, Cape Coral, and Naples, Florida.   One method of obtaining a visa to the United States is through sponsorship from a family member.  The Rothrock Law Firm files several types of family visas:

  • K1, K2, and K3 fiancee visas
  • CR-1 and IR-1 marriage visas
  • I-130 alien relative visas and I-485 adjustment of status
Family Visas

Family based immigration allows a family member to sponsor a spouse, fiance, or relative to the U.S.

Immediate Relatives of a United States Citizen

“Immediate Relatives” refers to the parents, spouses and children (who are unmarried and under 21 years of age) of a U.S. citizen. Immediate relatives of a U.S. citizen can immigrate to the United States without an extended waiting period.  Same sex married couples are considered “immediate relatives” for immigration purposes. There is no limit on the number of immediate relatives that can immigrate each year.  As a result, the government scrutinizes these applications carefully.  It is important to hire an experienced immigration lawyer to assist you in this process.  Attorney Carl Rothrock has more  than twenty years of experience practicing law and is admitted to practice before all immigration courts in the United States and the Immigration Board of Appeals.

Other Close Family Members of a U.S. Citizen

Other close family members of a U.S. citizen can qualify to immigrate to the United States, but  are subject to a numerical limit of immigrant visas available to them each year. Close family members are divided into several groups called “Preferences”. The higher the Preference, the quicker the alien will be eligible to receive a green card. The first preference is given to unmarried children over age 21 of U.S. citizens.  The third preference is given to married children of U.S. citizens.  The fourth preference is given to brothers and sisters of U.S. citizens.

Family Members of Permanent Residents

Spouses and unmarried children of a permanent resident can also apply for a green card. They are categorized as the “Second Preference” group of people who are eligible for immigration to the United States.

Fiancée visas

  • The K-1 visa allows the US citizen’s fiancée to come to the US to marry the US citizen.
  • The K-2 visa allows the fiancée’s children to come to the U.S.
  • The K-3 visa allows the spouse who lives in a foreign country to live with in the U.S. while his or her immigration petition is pending.
  • The K-4 visa allows the children of the K-3 spouse to accompany the spouse to the U.S. while the immigration petition is pending.

Adjustment of Status

Adjustment of status allows a spouse who is in the United States on one type of  visa to switch to another type of visa without leaving the United States.  For example, if a person entered the U.S. on a tourist visa and married a U.S. citizen, the citizen can sponsor the spouse for a green card and apply for adjustment of status so that the spouse does not leave the U.S. while the application is pending.  If the application is approved, the spouse will never need to leave the U.S.


If you are interested in sponsoring your family member to the United States, contact the Rothrock Law Firm at (239) 206-2363.

About Carl Rothrock

Carl Rothrock is an immigration lawyer in Fort Myers, Cape Coral, and Naples, Florida. He represents local and international individuals and businesses to obtain visas and green cards. In addition, he handles complex immigration matters, including 601-A waivers, deportations and EB-5 investor visas.

Leave a Reply